To Subscribe to automatic newsfeed from Stirling Swimming Enter your email address:

Thursday 19 March 2009

Andy Hunter and Jim Anderson shines in day three of world trials

In the men's 200m freestyle final, the big guns were out in force.  Andrew Hunter (Stirling Swimming/Stirling ITC) was fastest going into the final, and lined up alongside Ross Davenport (Loughborough University/Loughborough ITC), David Davies (City of Cardiff/Loughborough ITC) and Robbie Renwick (City of Glasgow).

It was Hunter who made the early running turning first at 50m but then Davenport changed gear and made his intentions known pulling away at 100m.  Hunter was quick to respond and stayed on his shoulder and by the 150m mark, David Davies was also making a move.

By this stage, however, Davenport had secured victory and won in a time of 1:46.50, just outside David Carry's British Record (1:46.47).  Hunter kept hold of second place and finished in 1:47.14 while David Davies was third in 1:47.50.  Renwick had to settle for 4th in 1:48.85.

After the race Hunter was first to congratulate Davenport and was clearly pleased by his own placing,

"I set a personal best in the semi finals last night and to come close to that time again tonight gives me confidence.

"I now train with Doug Frost at the ITC in Stirling and it has been positive to get a fresh pair of eyes on my training.  It was quite a decision to stay at Stirling, but I persisted with the programme and am now reaping the rewards.

"I will chat with Doug about my performances here and decide how best to progress and improve so I secure my place in Rome."

 

Jim Anderson was back to winning ways taking the title in the men's MD 50m backstroke event (1:09.06).